Light Buttery Overnight Crescent Rolls
*5 teaspoons Instant Dry Yeast
*1 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
*1/2 cup Warm Water 110*F.
*1 cup Water, plus 2 tablespoons
*1 cup Butter
*3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
*2 teaspoons Sea Salt
*4 Eggs, room temperature, beaten
*7 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour, more if needed
*1/2 cup Butter, room temperature for spreading over roll dough, could set out butter overnight to soften
In a 4 cup measuring cup add warm water, yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside to become bubbly.
1. In a sauce pan add 1 cup water, plus 2 tablespoons and bring to a boil. Then add 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons sea salt.
2. Pour the above heated mixture into a stand mixing bowl on medium speed with dough hook and then add 1 cup of cold water. Slowly add two cups of the flour and mix on medium speed until combined then add yeast and slowly add beaten eggs until combined. Scrapping sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Slowly add remaining flour, dough should be medium stickiness.
4. Refrigerate dough overnight in a large air tight container (snap on lid). You divide the dough into thirds and place in 3 small air tight containers with snap on lids.
5. In the morning divide the dough into thirds if you haven’t already done so, and form the dough into dough balls.
6. Roll out each dough ball into round circles on a flour covered surface around 1/2 inch thick. Then using a rubber scrapper or an offset spatula spread the softened butter and cut with a pizza cutter/rotary cutter into 12 wedges (like you would to cut a pizza)
7. Roll up each wedge starting with the fat end making a crescent roll. Place 12 crescent rolls on a Silpat covered 1/2 baking sheet. You will need 3 Silpat 1/2 baking sheets in all.
8. Dampen 3 flour dish clothes and cover the rolls. Let the rolls rise for 4 hours.
9. Bake in a pre-heated 400*F. oven for 12 minutes or until slightly golden.
Makes 30 rolls
Brown Sugar Mixture
*1/2 cup Brown Sugar
*1/4 cup Ground Cinnamon
Use the above roll recipe (dough refrigerated overnight and divided into thirds.)
Roll out the dough balls into rectangular shapes and spread on butter and sprinkle them with the brown sugar mixture using a third of the mixture on each dough rectangle. Roll-up each rectangle into a log shape/jelly roll style, start with the length side and begin rolling into a long dough roll pinching the seam into dough. Use a sharp knife or dental floss and cut into about 1 inch slices. Try to get 12 rolls out of each log/jelly roll using 3 Silpat covered 1/2 baking sheets.
Cover rolls with damp flour dish clothes for 2-3 hours.
Bake in a pre-heated 375*F. oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 30 cinnamon rolls.
*1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
*2-3 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
*2 tablespoons Milk
*2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
*1/4 teaspoon Almond Extract
Cream together the above glaze ingredients, adding 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar. Add more for desired constancy for spreading or drizzling. Spread glaze while rolls are still warm.
Recipe adapted from Ami Johnson
Have a great day!